April 20, 2009

Best Comment on Kenny Perry At The Masters I Have Seen

In my other blogging life, one of my buddies writes about a rival school (UNC) and is a raconteur and gadfly-about-town nonpareil. He also is a reformed golfer who still loves the tournament game, and in his blog made this comment about everyone who said Kenny Perry "choked."

Bob Lee Says: "It Wasn't Dead Solid Perfect, But..."

To ”lose The Masters” on the last few holes is a distinction much rarer than a hole-in-one. Lots of human sideshow freaks have hit holes-in-one. [...] Who knows …. Maybe a Somali pirate has hit a hole-in-one. No Somali pirate has ever been in a position to win The Masters after 70 holes. Ergo ….. neither Kenny nor Chad could be Somali pirates.

Nimrods who know nothing about golf (aka the “it’s not a real sport because _____” crowd) decry it because the little white ball just sits there waiting for you to hit it …. and everybody has to be really really quiet while you do that. Anyone who has actually “played the game with any level of expertise” (less than 8% of all golfers qualify to that level) knows how paralyzing that “waiting to hit it” can be. Kenny Perry squeezed just a smidgen too hard with his right hand on two shots between 6:35 and 7:15 Sunday afternoon. …… and nose-picking palookas from Spokane to Fuquay snort that “he choked.”
Bob's a great guy and he has the right perspective on things, especially the crazy world of college sports. In this town, four Division I programs are crammed within 20 miles of one another and the passion for hoops and football approaches the level of enthusiam I had for Farah Fawcett Majors back in 1977, when I was 15. Bob "gets it" with sports here, and it seems that he gets it where golf is concerned too.

2 comments:

  1. Well said indeed. I was annoyed by all the choking comments too. It's not like the guy hasn't won a tournament before...like last year's Memorial. Heellloo.

    Mr. Perry is an incredible individual and golfer. he deserves better treatment in the media, but then again some subscribe to the theory, "never let the truth get in the way of a good story."

    ReplyDelete
  2. BTW finally got you up on my blog roll. Don't know how I missed that. And I wonder why my head messes with my game! ;o)

    ReplyDelete

Have something to say? We'd love to hear it.